Tyddyn Street Church, Mold, Flintshire, North Wales
This historic church built in the 1860's has been transformed in a renovation that has turned it into a community and arts centre as well as a church.
The intention is to attract people to the church as a centre for community activities, the arts and small business conferences.
The work has been carried out with funds from the sale of surplus property, fundraising and the support of a number of important grant funding organisations, including the rural regeneration agency Cadwyn Clwyd from the Flintshire Key Fund which aims to help bring new life to the community buildings of rural Flintshire.
Additional funding has come from the Rural Development Fund for Wales 2007-2013, which is funded by the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) and the Welsh Government.
Architect Robin Wolley, who specialises in church restoration and renovation, said: "The idea was to retain the original spatial concept of this Grade Two listed property and its very fine original features. This is a lovely example of an historic Victorian building and by the use of painting and lighting and a sensitive appreciation of the interior we've managed to make it live again."
The audio and specialist lighting installations were designed and commissioned by Richard King Systems working closely with Robin Wolley and the main contractor B and M Builders of Ruthin. Main controls have been sited in a bespoke cabinet and include remote control of the camera system which relays the images from the main church area to the first floor.
The Rev Brian Acty added: "They really have transformed the church and it is now full of light and life and we feel it is a fantastic amenity for the local community. There is new lighting and a new sound system, there is disabled access and new parking and groups like the Mold Players now rehearse here and we're hoping many more organisations will approach us to use it because it is so versatile."